Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Apocrypha Project VII- Imperial Fists

Another day, another dude. Here's an Astartes of the Imperial Fists Third Company (I think), painted with mostly cheapo paints-

He was primed with Testor's Model Master white primer, then given two coats of PFA Turner's Yellow (1.5:1 water:paint). Next up was a wash of Citadel Carroburg Crimson. If you ever need anything to look like it's made out of red clay, this is where you stop. It's a perfect match.

But, since that's not what I wanted, I moved on with 2 coats of 1:1 PFA Medium Yellow, avoiding recessed bits. Once that was dry, I hit the more raised areas with two more coats, and once that was dry I did some highlights with some Coat d'Arms-era Citadel Sunburst Yellow. Black areas were painted with 1:1 PFA Licorice (my go-to black) and areas that would be metallic were basecoated with the same. Gunmetal bits are P3 Pig Iron, washed with Citadel Badab Black, and then highlighted again with Pig Iron. Blacks are highlighted with a mix of Citadel Hawk Turquoise and VGC Cold Grey- not the perfect mix, but I think it looks better than straight grey. Reds are VMC Carmine Red- the chest-aquila, backpack-skull, and helmet-laurel are washed with Citadel Thrakka Green. There are no red highlights.

The main reason I wanted to paint a Fist was to try out the MicroSet/MicroSol I ordered a while back. It works as well as everyone says it does, but there is so much extra transfer paper on the standard Fists decal that even MicroSol couldn't smooth it down completely. But the decal itself looks like it's hand-painted it blends in so well. I'll never use waterslides without this stuff now.

Lessons learned- Trim as much excess transfer paper off of decals as possible, even when using MicroSet and MicroSol. Also, yellow is nearly as big a pain as white. If I was going to do any more Fists, I'd try priming yellow and then glosscoating before washing (and then dullcoating again), and try to get away with a single coat of an extra-opaque hobby-grade yellow and white edge highlighting.

Here's the 7 guys for this project so far- only about a ton left to go. I think I might get one of those golf ball cabinets to display them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment