Sunday, February 18, 2018


You can take the dude out of the game, but you can't take the game out of the dude.

I've gotten back into building models- and part of that means going back and finishing things that have been sitting around half-painted for years and years. This Dark Angels rhino has resin upgrades (I thought they were legit when I got them off of eBay- turns out they are FauxgeWorld) and a magnetised top hatch.

I should be finished with it some time around 2025, if I keep to my current pace.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Things have not improved.

God dammit. It's been over a year and a half since my last post. A new ruleset has come and gone, for Fantasy (although, I guess it's not called that anymore...) and 40K. And what have I done? Nothing with my toy soldiers, that's for sure.

Saturday, May 17, 2014


Well, see, there's this thing about owning a house.

Once you really start to get settled in, you realize that there's all these things that need to get done. I have trees that need to get cut down before hurricane season really gets started, and I had to issue an Exterminatus order against Tyranids termites that were eating my house (and that cost a pretty penny). Among other normal day-to-day pain-in-the-rear work stuff.

There's all the projects around the house that are still going on (slowly)- wiring the house with Cat6, painting, cabinet repairs, cleaning out the garage (HAHAHAHA), flooring the attic for storage, and going through all of the clutter that we've carried around for years to decide once and for all what stays, and what goes.

Basically, on my list of priorities right this instant, painting my armies is unfortunately pretty low. Hopefully I can get back to it in earnest in the next 6 weeks or so- once the attic is done and the garage is cleared out, all the other projects should go a lot faster since I'll have some staging areas for everything. I like to think of these as my 'macrohobbies'. It makes all this stuff feel like less of a chore and more like something I enjoy doing.

Another thing that I did- I turned an old dresser into an entertainment center. It came out great, if I do say so myself.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Update Nothing

Blog URL has been updated (obviously), and as soon as I get to a point on some house projects (I'm working on some electrical wiring, plumbing, and data cabling at the moment) I should be able to get around to some painting.



Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Names They Are a-Changin'

I'll be updating the URL of this blog to in a couple days to match the new name.

I'm guilty of not touching my paints in a few weeks- my table got covered in mail and other household detritus, and I haven't screwed up the gumption to clean it off. In the meantime I've been messing around with Hyperspin, setting up a multi-console video game emulator.

You know. For the kids.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Dark Vengeance HQs- OR: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Just Get It Done

Librarian Turmiel and Company master Balthazar from the Dark Vengeance set did not go as well as I'd hoped, over all.

Things that, specifically, ended poorly were everything metallic (it's probably time to try out Vallejo's metallic medium or maybe even their alcohol-based metallics), their swords, and anything white (which, on these models, is about half of what you actually see).

I tried not to let it bother me too much, though. I figure that I can obsess over what's not going right and spend days and days fighting with it and still not be happy with the result, or I can just power through it and learn my lessons for the next model. I've got enough real world stress going on that I don't need to bring it into my leisure activities.

On the positive side of things I was fairly happy with the blue of Turmiel's power armor- it's Plaid Folk Art 'Brilliant Ultramarine' with a dark blue GW wash. The Ultramarine goes on really smooth at about a 50/50 mix with water, though it looks like I'll need to find something a bit lighter to highlight the edges to give him some volume. The green of Balthazar's suit is the same as I use for my tactical dudes. I spray them with a Krylon dark green as a primer/basecoat, and then highlight with various PFA greens and then a Thrakka Green (I guess it's Biel-Tan Green now) wash to bring it down a bit.

Also, I need to find my actual camera. I suspect it was lost when we moved into the new house. These cellphone pics just aren't cutting it- the paint is sketchy enough on it's own!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Impending name-change.

So, I kinda feel bad about the whole name thing, so after years of piggybacking with an inadvertently stolen name, I've decided to go ahead and change the name of this blog. Probably this evening.

I mean it's not like I've got a loyal audience that's going to be affected- the blog is really just for my own motivation.

So. Coming soon- World War Joe. Or maybe something else. I haven't really made up my mind.