Friday, April 30, 2010

Apocrypha Project II: Raven Guard


Or, as I like to call him, Battle Brother Sophomore Slump.

In retrospect I tried to do too many things at once with this figure. I tried to paint black by using multiple Badab Black washes over a pre-highlighted dark gray base (which, I think, will work beautifully with more practice). The 'unthinned paint' look comes from me doing 1 or 2 too many washes, and from areas that I tried to touch up with barely thinned Chaos Black after the fact.

My big mistake, though, was that I was also trying to work on my painting speed. From a primed figure, I painted him to completion in about an hour and half by using a hairdryer to dry the washes.

I know, I know. Don't do that. Blah blah blah. Whatever. If you use a high heat/low speed setting and hold the mini about 24 inches from the muzzle, you're golden.

No, speed was a factor in that I didn't take enough time looking at the model. Oh well. You live and you learn. I plan on at least painting one more black miniature for this project, and I won't rush it.




And more than anything, this picture convinces me that this is worthwhile project. 20 or 30 of these guys lined up should really be a sight to see.


Oh! I almost forgot. Much grass to thegrimdark for the tips about photographing black models. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment